Monday, June 1, 2015

Food- The Many Flavors of Italia

One thing I’ve learned from experience and from class sessions is that Florence has the best food and wine.  But Siena also has the best foods and wines, and Venice too.  It all depends on whom you ask.  Each of these regions and cities claim their traditional foods are the best in Italia, and will argue the fact.  Each also has their specialties, and I’ve attempted to try one in each place I visit.
A big point to mention- though I will elaborate in my “contemporary Italy”- is that Italian regions are very competitive and very proud of their local communities.  North, South, East, West, each area is known for different dishes and styles of cooking.  In the northern areas of Italy, rice and butter is more cooking; in the south, risotto and olive oil are used.  This is a reason why Florence is known for its bread.  When I sit down to dinner here, I am handed a basket of deliciously simple bread.  The texture is good and the taste is bearable, but I feel like it’s missing something: salt.  In Florence, bread served at dinner is served bland and unsalted.  This is because of one trifle or another with Pisa, the main distributor of salt years ago.  Again, this will be explained more in another section

No comments:

Post a Comment